Thursday, April 17, 2008

Sun Burns Are Like Places You Haven't Checked Off Your List Yet


Ben, the guy I've been working with said the other day that every time you check off a place you've been wanting to go, a new place joins the list. That's what sun burns are like. Every day when you put lotion on you think of where you got burned the day before and each day you discover a new place that needs to be covered. I'm constantly shocked.

I absolutely love working with crew I'm working with. I have only been there 2 days and have learned so much. I'm still no where near being competent on my own but with a little direction I do alright. Today Ben had me cleaning the little powerboat on board. So, for many hours I polished the stainless steel that had oxidation occur on it so it still looks ruddy after it's been done. So lame, but, with the help of my ipod tomorrow it'll be much better. I didn't mind it at all though. I drank a lot of water today and felt more at home on the yacht which is really upsetting because it won't be the yacht I'll be on. Ugh.. I'm so sad.

I'm going to work with Pete and Ben for the rest of this week and weekend along with all of next week. After that Captain Pete said he would write me a recommendation and send me to talk to his agent so that she can place me where I need to be. There's a yacht called Itaska(I think) that's going to the Med next month and they told me on Monday that they were going to be looking for a deck. So once I'm done with the Revelation I will move on over there and see if I can do day work with them which may turn into a permanent position. That's the hope anyways. We'll see. You never know.

I talked to Ben after work over the very hypothetical of me not getting a job within the month or month and a half. So, if I don't get a job going over to the Med I will go over to Antibes, France to find a job. Ben expects that I'll be able to find a job though, so that's good.

Anyhoodle, Pete and Ben are picking me up an hour earlier than usual tomorrow cause it's a busy day so I'm off to bed. Love you all. Woof,

Jacks

P.S. That picture is the Revelation. It used to be the Savvy. G-night!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Jacks---- Hang in there. You will have something good come along! You know how to work and get along with people. And the trip can be really interesting! Woof T

Jod said...

Great to read your post! It hasn't been that long. You'll land something good. Just be patient. We are very excited for you. Keep posting!
woof Kev & Jod

Anonymous said...

Hey Jacks,

It's all sounding good. Just a thought, you may want to put lotion on many times a day. Pip went on the beach for a walk today. It was great, but cold and a bit windy. Mom

whatkatywrote said...

Sweet! You'll find your dream boat yet.

What kind of lotion are you using? Do you mean sunblock, or normal lotion? 'Cause you might want to use something with aloe for a while instead of normal lotion, which can lead to wicked blisters. Just ask Mom--we had a bad experience once.

Anyhow, hang loose!

whatkatywrote said...

Did I mention how awesome it is that you're going international? Mmmhmm.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jacks,

Have you considered a burqa?

Dan