Monday, April 14, 2008

I Hear Red is the New Tan

Hello hello hello,

What a day what a day. I could not fall asleep for the longest time last night. Tossed and turned for at least 2 hours after already going to bed late. I think I got a very rough 4 hours... very rough. I went into three agencies today to get set up. Didn't take long at crewnetwork since that's where I was already dealing in SD. I have to get official interviews tomorrow morning with the other two. I have some day-work opportunities for tomorrow but I can't do both the agency work and day-work in the same day. My plan for tomorrow is to finish the quick interviews and then pass out more CVs at the marinas. I passed out 13 today.

One of the guys here, Bernie, calls the dockwalk the walk of shame. I think I agree. I mean, it wasn't bad, but, well... Some of the people were super nice and said that even if they didn't have a position available they would pass it on to someone who might while others just looked at me funny. Oh well. Not too bad for a first day.

I messed up today. I didn't bring water with me on my long walk and I definitely felt it by the end of the day. I think (can't be too positive but I think!) that I may have had a little bit of heat exhaustion. I ended up calling a cab to take me home. Big d0-doo. I must follow my dear friend Cam's advice and drink mucho mucho mas aqua. I do not know how Erik and Ty go without their water. But Erik, I can tough my way through it! I can! I didn't today, but I can!

Tomorrow's dock-walking will be a little easier since I now have a bike that I'm able to ride. No matter how comfortable chacos are, 10 miles tends to wear on your feet. The bike helps a ton.

Today I took the water taxi. It was really neat because not only did it bring me to a couple of marinas that I needed to get to, but the guy taking my money told us about all of the million-dollar mansions we passed. I say Lucille Ball's old place and the owner of the Dolphins and quite a few more. It was really cool. The canopy also blocked the sun a bit so that was really nice as well.

Lessons of the day:
1) Drink more water!!!
2)Wear an inch of sunblock on my shoulders!!
3)Call the numbers on the bulletin board in the crewhouse because they are very useful!

Anyhoodle, that's it for now I s'pose. For Jod and any others that may not be aware, I believe you can enter your name by selecting the OpenID bubble right after the word verification. Love you all. Woof,

Jacks

3 comments:

whatkatywrote said...

Wow! What an adventure! I have no doubt you'll find work soon...even if it's not immediate, I can only imagine the kinds of stories you'll gather in the process.

Don't listen to Erik when it comes to water--he's some sort of superhuman being that doesn't actually need to drink. Miss you! Woof.

Heidi said...

Rise and shine, Jackie! I hope you slept a little better than Sunday night. Keep the detailed posts coming and the sun block thick. Woof, Heidi

Anonymous said...

YOU DRINK YOUR WATER JACKSON, just do it. i do, and i'm in 34 degree weather. cam