Sunday, April 13, 2008

Night Before the Race

Day two is now over. Woke up late today (go figure) but I think I forgot to set my alarm.. actually turn it on. It was ok though because there is nothing to do on Sundays in the yachting world. Richard picked me up at noon and drove me around for an hour or so just showing me where the marinas were. I quickly discovered I had to buy a map so I went to Walgreens and did that. After Richard dropped me off I set out walking, knowing full well there was no way I was going to make it through the entire loop again. I ended up just going a little way and exploring one marina just walking the docks.

I was wearing normal hot weather garb so I didn't try to talk to anybody on board the yachts because I was not wearing the appropriate clothing. I ended up talking to a few people though and actually got a tour of one 63 footer. It was small but pretty neat. The engine room was much cleaner than I had expected and I saw a bilge tank for the first time. Crew quarters in that yacht were definitely cozy but not at all bad in my opinion. The captain of that yacht, Kevin, said that he would give me a call for day-work and that they will be going on a 3-day charter on Thursday and that he will see if he can get me on-board. That would obviously be short-term. I don't think I want to stay here in Florida.

Florida is great. I'm loving the weather. Dad was definitely right. He's heard it that when people come here it's hard to up and leave and I can see why that is. But, after learning the cost to rent an apartment ($1-3000 +) a month, I think I have a better understanding!

I ended up coming back to the house a little earlier than originally planned but made use of it by going for a run around this loop. I go about 5 blocks, turn and do another 5 blocks... and that each direction. So, adding it all up it looks right around 20 blocks. I have absolutely no idea how long that is but it was good enough. I'm not trying to run a marathon or anything :-)

I am so sorry! I was going to take my camera with me while I went walking earlier but left without it. I didn't realize until I was far enough away I was definitely not turning back. It was a nice walk though. The sun hit me for sure and my shoulders are a little red. A little more sunblock tomorrow me thinks.

I think that's all I have to say for now. I'm hitting the hay now and am going to the agencies in the morning. I won't be able to get day-work tomorrow because I'll be starting too late after I check in with the agencies but Tuesday will be different. Love you all. Woof,

Jacks

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That'll be great if you get a short job on the small yacht first. Then when you go interview on a long term job you'll feel more confident about your experience. You'll be more familiar with the particular type job s you might be doing. Good for you
Love reading about how it's going. Thanks for sharing it with us.
woof

Anonymous said...

I'm not really anonymous, Jacks. I just haven't figured out which box to check, yet. I'll get it sometime.
jod