Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Or Not

Sacajawea is out. There is a story behind this but it is best if it is told elsewhere. Tina has heard the story and I'm SURE she won't mind sharing the information... would you Tina? :-) Shanks!

I went out to dinner with Revelation II tonight as it was the 1st mate's birthday. They are crossing on Sunday and as long as they still intend on paying me, so will I!! I'm still leaving the door open for other job possibilites between now and then, however.

Something you should all know about yachting, is that you never know with yachting. One day you may have a job, and the next you're on a flight back to the originating port for one reason or another. Things change overnight. It happens so often that the phrase "That's yachting" is used quite frequently. I'm random enough as it is but that is why I don't post every day to let you all know what's going on.

Working on a yacht is not like any land based job. On land, your home life and work life are kept separate. One can be bad without messing up the other. On boats, however, home is work and work is home. The people with whom you work are the same people you eat with, sleep with and spend all your extra time with. I know it may seem like I am being too picky about choosing a job but it is so important that you know you can live and work with your crew. If not, you're really looking at a very uncomfortable season. A season isn't just a month, either.. it's 4-6 months. Yes, I could take a job like that; where everyone is fighting or just bickering all the time, or I could wait a little bit longer to find the right job where my skills, talents and personality truly do compliment those of the rest of the crew.

That last bit there "...skills...crew." is my objective on my CV. Yeah, I'm in the industry for the money, but more than that I'm here for the experience. All of this explanation is just so that you can better understand my decision process for taking a job. The crew is the most important thing on a boat. You have to have a good crew. I just can't say that enough.

So! Being that I was not feeling a connection with Sacajawea, here I am.. doing the crossing to the Mediterranean on Sunday (weather permitting) or Monday (if not Sunday.) :-) Can't complain too much, can I?

Jody, you're so much fun cause you always go elsewhere to find out a little more about whatever I tell you about. :-) You've always done that. I like it. It means you're thinking of me and that feels really nice.. warm and fuzzy.. like a teddy bear:-)

To all of you, it's amazing to have the support you've given me. To have your support means so much. I don't know how many people read my blog, but it really means a lot to me that you do. I'm all alone down here and though I love it and there's no where else I'd rather be, half of my heart is at home in Alaska, as it will be no matter where I go from here on out. You guys are amazing and I want you to know it. I love you and miss you and will post again soon. Woof you guys,

Jacks

5 comments:

Debbi Palm said...

I'm so jealous. It sounds like fun. Take pictures when you can.

Jod said...

You are going to learn a ton on this trip. The crossing part may not be as much fun as time cruising in the Med or Bahamas, but you'll gain experience. Yahoo!
woof
jod

Anonymous said...

Watch out for pirates!

Heidi said...

Woof, Jackie! I'm eager to know how long a crossing takes and whether you'll have web access on the way.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jacks,

Heidi just pointed me to your blog, which she's still reading. Wow! Great blog! Great adventure.

Regarding the diving -- just in case -- the best diving is in the euphotic zone, i.e., the light-penetrating zone, the richest area. If you never get the deep diving bug, that would be fine, and better for your old age.

Grins,

Dan