Friday, July 4, 2008

Bermuda to Azores to Palma

Hello! It’s July! Can you believe it? I can’t. Fishing is about to start and I’m not going to be there! Friends and family are home from school and I don’t get to see them either! This is one wacky summer. Currently, as I write this blog I am about 20 miles south of Portugal heading towards the Straight of Gibraltar. By the time you read it, however, I will be in Palma de Mallorca attempting to get a job there. I also may fly back to the states to get a job there! You never know with yachting. Yachting is nice that way because I can blame the spur of the moment change of plans on that. Someone not knowing me may think that I really have my head on my shoulders. They don’t have to know that I don’t need yachting to make my decisions sporadic. Let’s keep that between you and me, shall we?

I will have you know that I tried to post a blog when I was in the Azores but the Internet was so lousy that it kicked me off right before I was finished. So now you will have to hear about it through word of mouth. I’m sure that’ll be more entertaining anyhow.

Since we left the Azores we have had some rough waters. Wind has been blowing at around 30 knots with swells 10-12 feet. They’ve been hitting us head-on which hasn’t been too great for anyone that gets seasick. I was feeling it the first rough day. I thought for sure I was going to spew and all that kept going through my mind was that I still had to stay on the boat for another 6-7 days. The idea of that was a scary one. There’s no sidewalk where you can say “Ok, I’m done. Let me out here.” I would’ve had to stick it through and the way I was feeling, it wasn’t looking good. I ate some bread, however and took some Dramamine— with a couple rolls of bread – which turned everything around. That stuff knocked me out for a good two hours or so but when I woke up I felt much better. Now, even though we’re still getting some reasonably sized swells, I feel better than I did when it was calmer than calm. Whoever made up that pill is one smart cookie.

Movies are the main type of entertainment on the boat. We have nearly gone through the whole book that Pete bought and have decided that he needs a female to go with him from now on because there are far too many shoot ‘em up films. I go to bed with dreams of drug busts, guns going off and bombs exploding which turns out to be my drawers flying open with an alarming crash due to a swell that nearly throws me out of my bed. It’s pretty intense!

Writing continued on a later day:

I am at my last stop. We are here in Palma de Mallorca. Revelation leaves on Monday after they fuel and I hop off tomorrow night (Saturday.) Lots of fun. I’m actually looking forward to it to some degree. I'll be here in Palma until further notice.

I’m going to cut my hair. It’s official. I’m not sure when but it will be so much easier to deal with. It’s a pain right now. My plan is for it to look like Meg Ryan in French Kiss if you’ve seen it. If you haven't, you'll see in pictures I suppose.

I'm really looking forward to seeing pictures of Pip in her new outfits. I hope someone will take them for me. I've taken TONS of pictures especially after I gather all the ones from the rest of the crew. Pete got some really neat ones of dolphins on the bow. Super cool. I'll look into posting them all somewhere online. I'll figure something out. I'm off for now. Until later, folks. Miss you! Love you!!

Jacks

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahoy there Jacks!
Glad to here from you again. It's a long way across that ocean.
Good luck with the job hunt. I heard of an opening on a little boat off a little beach called Salamatof! Close to shore, spa mud baths, water skiing, fine gourmet frozen lasagne...What more could you ask for? woof Jod

Jod said...

Try Rock City Pizza y Copas. I've read about it on a few different sites. Palma looks like a pretty big city. 1/2 the island lives there. Bet your Spanish will get better in a hurry.
woof
jod

Heidi said...

Hey Jackie,

Did the land feel wobbly when you went ashore? Our plans are progressing for moving to Granada, Spain in September, so we eagerly await your every report. Big hugs from all of us.

Woof,
Heidi et. al.

Unknown said...

Congratulations! We hear you have a job on the Stampede. In looking up the yacht we think that it used to be Princess Gloria. It was refitted recently and seems to be around 120ft long now instead of 108. How do they do that? If they didn't change the crew quarters it sure sounds nice. 3 crew cabins (plus the captain's quarters) each with their own bathrooms. Pretty uptown!The article about Princess Gloria said that she was one of the most comfortable yachts in her class and size for open water. Cool. Can't wait to see pictures. And maybe what we were looking at were not of your yacht, but I think so. Have fun. Woof